Tuesday, February 23, 2010

History: grade trends

Overall, I think my first semester of 10th grade humanities was a success. Not only did I learn a lot about history, but also my test-taking and assertion-making skills have grown to a new level. I think that the assessments cater to the development of these skills and truly tests my understanding of the unit. As a whole, my grades seem pretty consistent across the board.

My strongest category appears to be concepts (criterion B), however, we only got one grade in that area – so I am not sure how much of an indicator that is. Therefore, I would say that the strongest category of mine is skills (criterion C), this was the most common grade we received last semester and I was very consistent. This criterion was used when assessing DBQs. I think that I do better on the document based questions opposed to the normal quizzes, because I am stronger at coming to my own conclusions based off of information given to me, than reading something – memorizing facts – and then relating them to questions on a quiz.

Most of my problems on the quizzes, where my grade would drop, were because I missed a key point needed for a complete answer. This would lead to 0.5 marks off of a question, and those errors would add up. I think I would like to work on going deeper into the reading and making sure I have a complete understanding of what the packets include. Often, because they contain so much information, it is difficult for me to narrow it all down to the important concepts.

This is something I am specifically going to work on this semester. Even if it takes more time for me to complete the packets, it is something I want to do. I think I did very well, ending the semester with a 95%. I only hope I can do the same or even better second semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment